Thursday, December 20, 2012

Food Sing 88 Corp.


Besides having an almost perfect name, Food Sing 88 Corp. is an almost perfect spot for the mid-winter blues. The only problem is that it is not on my corner.

How many of these brisk mornings do you wake and crave a big noodle-y, meat filled bowl of broth and flavor?  For me, it's about 2 of every 3 days.

So, with hand-pulled noodles swimming in my brain from my encounter with a little place in Bensonhurst, I set out to get more.

Enter Food Sing 88 Corp.

Located at 2 East Broadway, right near the Chatam Square statue, this hand-pulled noodle spot is full of charm.

Clean looking and alive with the sound of slurping eaters, the service was fast and the effect immediate. I barely told our waitress what I wanted and she already had it ready. I joked that she was holding it behind her back when I ordered and just pulled it out and gave it to me on demand.

The soup was delicious.

That's my bowl of "han-pulled noodle with pork chop." Yes, han-pulled. Yes.

For $5.50 there is plenty of pork chop and noodle, some little spinach leaves (you know, cause vegetables are important) and little sour bits of pickled vegetable. It's a great deal and an excellent lunch/snack/meal. Call it what you will; just call it.

For another 50 cents you can get some lamb parts in your soup instead of pork chops. Also, the broth is slightly different, with the addition of star anise and other spices (mainly star anise).


This is what my friend Matt got during our lunch date. Yeah lunch date. Yeah you're jealous. I know it.

I must note that his soup looked a little more cloudy than mine. I do not necessarily know why, but I had a few spoonfuls here and there and it was also delicious. The addition of star anise was an excellent touch considering the lamb (complete with chewy skin parts!)

Real quick, Pros recap:
Fast service
Overall satisfying and delicious
Inexpensive and filling
Clean and inviting
Also, the bathroom was nice. Always a plus, but not how I judge a restaurant.

I need to discuss the noodles for a minute.

As a hand-pulled noodle spot, undoubtedly they take pride in their noodles.
With great texture and consistency, as well as ample amount, I was overall pleased with the noodles and would eat here again. The noodles were filling, they were not gummy nor did they have a starchy, sticky texture or mouth feel.
The noodles needed a little time to hang out in the broth. They needed to soak a little of that porky flavor and to mellow out in the symphony that was this soup. Upon first bite, the noodles lacked the serious noodle-y flavor I was searching out. They did not disappoint however. After about 3 full minutes, they were as fantastic as a hand pulled noodle joint ought to be.

Go here and eat food. Do it.

I went here again today because it's delicious, and I must say that the pork chop and the first beef item on the Hand Pulled Noodle list are probably the best. The broth for the lamb was great, but the pieces are a little funky, albeit satisfying (ie. order lamb if you really like lamb and don't mind skin.)

The short rib hand pulled noodle is not as good as the regular beef. Also, the noodles were just as good today as last time, and I had no problems with noodle-y flavors (full flavor).

While I was eating today, a man next to me had ordered a non-soup item that looked pretty tasty. I suppose this means the rest of the menu is good as well.

No comments: