Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Blue, not Sad.

I love blueberries. I like them best raw (crazy, I know!) eaten out of the carton or in cereal.

It seems everybody has a hard-on for these anti-oxidant rich bush berries; and they want to cook them.



Why not?

Little tubs of mealy blue fruits for $4.99 coming from Chile later in the year are never going to compare to the fat, sweet American berries in season now. So we may as well use them while they're good.

I've found quite a few recipes during my regular foodie research, and I'm ready to give you all the best ones.

First we need to make sure we have blueberries come wintertime, so we're going to make some things that will last.

Blueberry Butter Suggested: Southern biscuit with BBbutter, duck rillette and arugula. Pancakes with BBbutter, brie and candied pecans.

Blueberry Ketchup Suggested: It's ketchup! Awesome on home fries with pork bits, or with meatloaf.

Blueberry Pickles From Saveur, "Chef Tyler Kord, of No. 7 Sub Shop in New York City, created these sweet-tart pickled blueberries for his sandwich of brie, pistachios, and chervil." Oh really, good with brie? Try along side coleslaw and good steak.

Blueberry BBQ Sauce Suggested: put it on a lamb burger with mint and onion rings; try it with spicy pulled pork and sweet potato fries; or just make ribs.

Because we all have black rice in our pantries, and because rice pudding is amazing, here is a rice pudding recipe.

Blueberry Rice Pudding  I would like to note that full fat and real sugar will make this much better. I would also like to note that I do actually have black rice in my cupboard. 

I'm not much for baking. Hot ovens and exact measurements are not my strong suit in the summertime. So there isn't even a clafoutis recipe let alone a cobbler or a slump. It's hot; and I want to make/eat cold things.

Blueberry Moonshine Pops Make these and everyone will eat them. People will be impressed that you know where to get moonshine, and they'll want the leftovers.

Blueberry Basil Pops Because herbs taste great in frozen desserts, and because you already have pop molds, so you should be making different kinds.

Blueberry Vanilla Fro-Yo Ladies swoon.

And because on top of everything, blueberries taste amazing raw, I give you a fresh preparation.

Blueberry Papaya Salad Bring this to the next BBQ. Make people love you.


That, my friends, is how I do blueberries.


1 comment:

Helen Dwyer said...

I love your blog, Will. You are so funny. And it makes me so hungry! I'm definitely going to try the blueberry butter! Yum!